– Date – August 13th, 2013
– Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to
– Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
– Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us!
– Derek is the director of the Skeptic Track at Dragon Con, which happens in only a couple weeks, make sure you have the mobile application!
– Don't forget to go to the Atlanta Star Party the Thursday night before Dragon Con!
Skepticism, Past and Future [2:45]
– The arrest of “David Mabus” on August 16, 2011 was mentioned before on Skepticality episodes #173 in January 2012 and #185 in June 2012.
– Read the continuing story of Mabus in great detail in two posts on Tim’s blog, the initial arrest in 2011 as well as his re-arrest in 2012 are both covered.
– Tim’s how-to post explaining how to pre-emptively block some annoying content on Twitter covers many clients. (But some of the details have changed since it was first posted).
– Tim reviewed The Block Bot on his blog, and found that (in general) it was not suitable for use by people outside the small community that originally built it.
– The conference calendar site Lanyrd was first mentioned on Skepticality #179 in March 2012.
– Lanyrd has rolled out a new speaker directory feature that is quite useful for skeptics.
– The In Memoriam presentation from TAM 2013 is now online.
– Skeptic History facts are posted daily on social media find out where on this page at Tim’s blog.
– Ruth Hurmence Green page who wrote the Atheist book, “The Born Again Skeptic's Guide to the Bible” in 1979.
– Robert Ingersoll Birthplace Museum Wikipedia page.
– Vashti McCollum Wikipedia page rewrite.
– Guerrilla Skepticism on Wikipedia Blog.
– You can find Susan Gerbic at her website.
The Odds Must Be Crazy [17:50]
– This week's featured story is, "A Tale of a First TAMmer".
– Story was submitted by reader Jim Preston.
– Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Barbara Drescher.
– Our producer and audio engineer is Brian Hart.
– Our theme music comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
– Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
– The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
– Wendy Hughes is on Twitter.
– Jarrett Kaufman is on Twitter.
– Barbara Drescher is on Twitter.
– Brian Hart is on Twitter.
– Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter.
Interview: Jon Hotchkiss [23:51]
– President of Hotchkiss Enterprises.
– Emmy nominated producer/creator of TV shows for networks like Discovery, TLC, NBC, GSN, and Playboy TV.
– The shows he has done directly tickle the happy bone of people who love science and critical thinking.
– This vs. That might be like an offshoot, or 'sequel' to shows like Mythbusters.
– Hybrid vs Combustion is an example of an episode which he couldn't get on network TV.
– Show features some fairly well known comedians/stars.
– Check out sample clips and purchase the show at the show website.
Outro Music [1:08:00]
– Outro music donated by Trent Brusky of Dropfox.