This week on Skepticality, Derek talks with Jeff Wise, science writer, outdoor adventurer, and pilot of airplanes about his latest book, Extreme Fear: The Science of Your Mind in Danger, and reveals how our bodies react to different types of fear, and how we might be able to make our fears work for us.
Date – August 16th, 2011 read by Derek.
– Derek is all alone, Swoopy is off learning and working.
– You can send in your cool Science Shoutout to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Now Dragon*Con with Skeptrack is only a month away.
– As part of Dragon*Con 2011 weekend, there will be fun with Pamela Gay, Phil Plait and Nicole Gugliucci.
– The Atlanta Star Party is now sold out.
Skeptic History Notes
– The Great Moon Hoax was published in the New York Sun beginning August 25, 1835.
– The Harmonic Convergence was supposed to occur August 16 – 17, 1987.
– Ralph René was a vocal proponent of the Apollo moon hoax theory, born August 24, 1933.
– The Mythbusters tackled the moon hoax in an episode that aired August 27, 2008.
– The Mars hoax emails that appears each year at this time originated with an actual event August 27, 2003.
– Darwin & Wallace’s papers were published by the Linnean Society on August 20, 1858.
– You can read daily Skeptic History facts on Twitter or Facebook or download the new (and free) JREF iPhone app.
– Jeff's Blog/Website
– Follow Jeff on Twitter: @ExtemeFear