– Date – June 10, 2014
– Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to
– Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
– Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us!
Skepticism Skepticism, Past and Future [1:05]
– The history of David Mabus was previously explored on Skepticality #212 on August 13, 2013.
– The infamous “David Mabus” pled guilty to three more charges on May 29, 2014.
– Read about the skeptic-relevant research presented last week at ICWSM here.
– Skeptic History facts are posted daily on social media find out where on this page at Tim’s blog.
Skeptical Humanities [12:10]
– Atlantis: The Antediluvian World.
– Wikipedia’s overview of Indo-European.
– Tree of Indo-European Languages (warning: awesome).
– List of Boston Marathon winners.
– Skeptical Humanities.
The Odds Must Be Crazy [19:35]
– The Odds Must Be Crazy.
– This week’s featured story is, “Message in a Shark Tag“.
– Story was submitted by Skepticality listener, Shawn Wilson.
– Visit the story link for a more detailed analysis and to add your comments.
– Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Ed Clint.
– Our theme music comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
– Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
– The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
– Wendy Hughes is on Twitter.
– John Rael is on Twitter.
– Edward Clint is on Twitter.
– Barbara Drescher is on Twitter.
– Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter.
– Thanks to our friends Emery Emery, Heather Henderson and Blythe Renay for hospitality and support for the production of the segment. Visit them at http://skepticallyyours.net/.
Grandmother Fish: Jonathan Tweet [25:55]
– Jonathan Tweet.
– Grandmother Fish Book.
– Jonathan has workined on geeky games, such as Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering.
– Check out the draft PDF to get an idea of how the book will look.
– Join the Kickstarter to make sure more kids are taught the scientific facts of evolution!
Interview: Allen Woppert [33:00]
– Alan J. Woppert.
– Originally from Milwaukee, WI.
– Now lives in Berlin, Germany teaching English and writing educational books for people learning English.
– Most of his books have been textbooks for those learning English which included a lot of stories.
– His first fiction book just came out, “The War on Science Goest Batshit!“. A Young Adult book.
– The name of the book is a reference to the fictional town of Batshit, IL which had a mistaken name.
– The main story story is all about the Intelligent Design vs. Evolution struggle in the towns public High School.
– Hard core religious groups still attempt to sneak things like Intelligent Design into the school curriculum.
– Alan wrote the book after dealing with religious fundamentalists in Germany.
– Had to deal with backlash after placing a excerpt from a Susan Jacoby work into one of their books.
– The book is kind of like Judy Bloom for the science set.
– Allen has now moved to Barcelona, Spain to gain inspiration for his writing.