– Date – September 30th, 2014
– Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to
– Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
– Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us!
Skepticism, Past and Future [1:15]
– The Aztec UFO crash hoax went national via a column in Weekly Variety on October 12, 1949.
– Samuel Hopkins Adams investigation The Great American Fraud starting October 5, 1905 in Colliers spurred action on patent medicines.
– FactCheck and PolitiFact are just two of many fact-checking websites and organizations worldwide.
– PunditTracker and PunditFact check statements by those who give their opinion in the media.
– Trooclick is a new automated tool that automatically detects glitches in financial news stories.
– emergent.info is a new research project that also uses algorithms to track rumors that are spreading via social media and the press.
– Skeptic History facts are posted daily on social media find out where on this page at Tim’s blog.
The Odds Must Be Crazy [22:27]
– This week's featured story is, "That’s Textbook"
– Story was submitted by Skepticality listener Rich Catalano.
– Please visit the story link for a more detailed analysis and to add your comments.
– Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Barbara Drescher
– Our theme music comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
– Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
– The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on Twitter at @OddsMustBeCrazy, Facebook at TheOddsMustBeCrazy, and Google+ at thier profile.
– Wendy Hughes is on Twitter @Wendy91602.
– John Rael is on Twitter @skepticallyPwnd.
– Jarrett Kaufman is on Twitter @TurboFool.
– Barbara Drescher is on Twitter @badrescher.
– Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter @MrDeity.
– Thanks to our friends Emery Emery and Heather Henderson for hospitality and support for the production of the segment. Visit them at skepticallyyours.net.
Discussion: Ian Harris [28:55]
– Comedian Ian Harris.
– You can find Ian on Twitter at @comediocre.
– His Facebook page.
– Check out the 'Critical and Thinking' trailer/promo on YouTube.
– Grab his newest video special over at iTunes now!