European Council of Skeptical Organisations
|Purpose||Co-ordination between European organisations and individuals that promote scientific skepticism|
Founded on 25 September 1994, the ECSO aims to co-ordinate activities of European organisations and individuals that aim at critically investigating pseudoscientific statements and claims regarding observations of paranormal phenomena, and to make the results of its investigations known to the broad public. It means to continue the series of European skeptical congresses that preceded its foundation and supports a biennial congress and a symposium every other year.
The Charter of the European Council of Skeptical Organisations states that it strives
1) To protect the public from the promulgation of claims and therapies which have not been subjected to critical testing and thus might pose a danger to them.
2) To investigate by means of controlled tests and experiments such extraordinary claims which are on the fringe of or contradict current scientific knowledge. In particular this applies to phenomena commonly identified as "paranormal" or "pseudoscientific". However no claims, explanations or theories will be rejected in advance of objective evaluation.
3) To promote public policy based on good practice in science and medicine.
The Charter was signed by Amardeo Sarma (GWUP), Michael Howgate (UK Skeptics), Miguel Angel Sabadell (ARP), Paul Kurtz (CSICOP), Tim Trachet (SKEPP), Arlette Fougnies (Comité Para) and Cornelis de Jager (Stichting Skepsis).
Board of directors
- Gábor Hraskó (SzT) – Chairman
- Tim Trachet (SKEPP) – Vice-Chairman
- Amardeo Sarma (GWUP) – Treasurer
- Catherine de Jong (VtdK) – Member
- TBA (CICAP) – Member
The ECSO brings together the following skeptic groups:
|English name||Local name||Abbrev.||Founded||Region served||Notes|
|Association against Quackery||Vereniging tegen de Kwakzalverij||VtdK||1881||Netherlands||No a formal membership yet.|
|Association for Skeptical Enquiry||Association for Skeptical Enquiry||ASKE||1997||United Kingdom|
|Belgian Committee for the Critical Analysis of Parasciences||Comité belge pour l'Analyse Critique des parasciences||Comité Para||1949||Belgium||Serves Wallonia and Brussels. Founding member.|
|Czech Skeptics Club Sisyfos||Český klub skeptiků Sisyfos||Sisyfos||1995||Czech Republic|
|French Association for Scientific Information||Association française pour l’information scientifique||AFIS||1968||France||Member since 2001.|
|Hungarian Skeptic Society||Szkeptikus Társaság||SzT||2006||Hungary|
|Irish Skeptics Society||Irish Skeptics Society||ISS||2002||Ireland|
|Italian Committee for the Investigation of Claims of the Pseudosciences||Comitato Italiano per il Controllo delle Affermazioni sulle Pseudoscienze||CICAP||1989||Italy|
|Rational Alternative to Pseudoscience - Society for the Advancement of Critical Thinking||Alternativa Racional a las Pseudociencias - Sociedad para el Avance del Pensamiento Crítico||ARP-SAPC||1986||Spain||Founding member.|
|Science and Popular Enlightenment||Föreningen Vetenskap och Folkbildning||VoF||1982||Sweden|
|Study Circle for the Critical Evaluation of Pseudoscience and the Paranormal||Studiekring voor de Kritische Evaluatie van Pseudowetenschap en het Paranormale||SKEPP||1990||Belgium||Serves Flanders and Brussels. Founding member.|
|Skepsis Foundation||Stichting Skepsis||Skepsis||1987||Netherlands||Founding member.|
|Skeptical Circle||Círculo Escéptico||CE||2006||Spain|
|Society for the Scientific Investigation of Parasciences||Gesellschaft zur wissenschaftlichen Untersuchung von Parawissenschaften||GWUP||1987||D-A-CH||Based in Roßdorf, Germany. Founding member.|
|Swiss Skeptics – Association for Critical Thinking||Skeptiker Schweiz – Verein für kritisches Denken||Skeptiker||2012||Switzerland|||
|Zetetic Observatory||Observatoire Zététique||OZ||2003||France|||
Furthermore, the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (CSI, formerly CSICOP), whose founder and long-time chairman Paul Kurtz was actively involved its formation (especially because the Skeptical Inquirer had many subscribers in Europe), and the Israel Skeptics Society are associate members of the ECSO.
European Skeptics Congress
European Skeptics Congresses (ESCs), in which skeptical organisations from many different European countries participate, have been held ever since 1989. The conferences are often held in the month of September, and may last from two up to four days. The ECSO was formed at the 6th ESC on 25 September 1994 in Ostend, Belgium. Since its foundation, the ECSO co-ordinates in the organisation of new ESCs that take place (on average) every other year, and is hosted by a different member organisation each time. Skeptical organisations that are non-ECSO members may also send their delegations. Past ESCs have been:
|1st European Skeptics Congress||5–7 May 1989||Bad Tölz||West Germany|
|2nd European Skeptics Congress||10–11 August 1990||Brussels||Belgium|
|3rd European Skeptics Congress||4–5 October 1991||Amsterdam||Netherlands|
|4th European Skeptics Congress||17–19 July 1992||Saint-Vincent||Italy|
|5th European Skeptics Congress||29–31 August 1993||Keele||United Kingdom||Theme: "Science for Life: Health, Medicine and Well-Being". Organised by the UK Skeptics.|
|6th European Skeptics Congress||23–25 September 1994||Ostend||Belgium||Theme: "Science, Pseudoscience and the Environment". ECSO formed.|
|7th European Skeptics Congress||4–7 May 1995||Roßdorf||Germany|
|8th European Skeptics Congress||4–7 September 1997||A Coruña||Spain|
|9th European Skeptics Congress||17–19 September 1999||Maastricht||Netherlands||Hosted by Stichting Skepsis|
|10th European Skeptics Congress||7–9 September 2001||Prague||Czech Republic||Theme: "Rise and Development of Paranormal Beliefs in Eastern Europe"|
|11th European Skeptics Congress||5–7 September 2003||London||United Kingdom|
|12th European Skeptics Congress||13–15 October 2005||Brussels||Belgium||Theme: "Pseudoscience, Alternative Medicine and the Media"|
|13th European Skeptics Congress||7–9 September 2007||Dublin||Ireland||Theme: "The Assault on Science: Constructing a Response" 100+ attendees.|
|14th European Skeptics Congress||17–19 September 2010||Budapest||Hungary|||
|15th European Skeptics Congress||22–25 August 2013||Stockholm||Sweden||Theme: "ESCape to Clarity!"|
|16th European Skeptics Congress||10–13 September 2015||London||United Kingdom||Organised by Association for Skeptical Enquiry and Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit|
|17th European Skeptics Congress||2017||Wrocław||Poland||Provisional; to be organised by Klub Sceptyków Polskich and Czech Skeptics Club Sisyfos|
During the 6th World Skeptics Congress (Berlin, 18–20 May 2012), co-sponsored by the ECSO, GWUP and the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (CSI), the ECSO presented the "Outstanding Skeptics Award" to Wim Betz (SKEPP) and Luigi Garlaschelli (CICAP) "in recognition of [their] dedication and outstanding contributions in promoting science and investigating extraordinary claims". Simultaneously, the CSI presented Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst with the "In Praise of Reason Award" "in recognition of [their] distinguished contribution to the use of critical inquiry, scientific evidence, and reason in evaluating claims to knowledge".
- European Humanist Federation
- List of skeptical conferences
- List of skeptical organizations
- QED: Question, Explore, Discover
- The Amaz!ng Meeting (TAM!)
- "ECSO: Skeptics in Europe – About". ECSO website. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Earlier European skeptic events". HSS website. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- de Jager, Kees (December 1994). "Een Europese Skeptische organisatie". Skepter (in Dutch) (Stichting Skepsis) 7 (4): 11.
- Mahner, Martin (February 2002). "10th European Skeptics Congress: Rise and Development of Paranormal Beliefs in Eastern Europe". Skeptical Inquirer (CSICOP) 26 (1). Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Michael Heap (ASKE) was elected in August 2013, but stepped down because he was too busy with other matters. He is yet to be replaced by someone from the ranks of CICAP.
- "Skeptics Organisations: ECSO Members". ECSO website. European Council of Skeptical Organisations. 16 March 2008. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- The VtdK membership has not been formalised yet, but there is close cooperation with the ECSO, and its chairwoman Catherine de Jong already serves as ECSO board member.
- (French) Jean-Pierre Thomas. "Notre histoire". Website AFIS. AFIS. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Mike Heap (June 2002). "From the Chairman: The 10th European Skeptics Congress". Skeptical Adversaria. Association for Skeptical Enquiry. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- ARP-SAPC website
- Gregor Schenker (24 March 2014). "Wir Skeptiker sind keine Nörgler". Tages-Anzeiger (in German) (Tamedia). Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "FAQ". OZ website. Observatoire Zététique. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- "European Skeptic Congress and ECSO Events". Lanyrd. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Michels, Hans (1990). "Over de frontlijn. De European Skeptics Conference 1990". Skepter (in Dutch) (Stichting Skepsis) 3 (4): 30–31.
- Hulspas, Marcel (December 1991). "Van APE-mensen tot wijntherapie. Het derde Euroskeptics Congres". Skepter (in Dutch) (Stichting Skepsis) 4 (4): 30–31.
- Koene, Bart; Nanninga, Rob (September 1992). "Quali prove? Het vierde EuroSkeptics congres". Skepter (in Dutch) (Stichting Skepsis) 5 (3): 1–3.
- Poley, Stephen (December 1994). "Bijeen in Oostende. Het zesde EuroSkeptics congres". Skepter (in Dutch) (Stichting Skepsis) 7 (4): 8–10.
- Ted de Hoog (6 October 1999). "Sceptici aller landen...". De Groene Amsterdammer (in Dutch). Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "European Skeptics Congress 2005". University of Hasselt. 11 October 2005. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "13th Congress of the European Council of Skeptical Organisations (ECSO)". ISS website. 2007. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Shane Hegarty (7 September 2007). "Surely it's not the sceptics?". The Irish Times.
- Hall, Mike; Marshall, Michael; Harris, Colin (23 September 2010). "Skeptics with a K: Episode #031". Skeptics with a K. Episode 31. Merseyside Skeptics Society. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- Agnes Tieben (27 May 2013). "15th European Skeptics congress, 23 – 25 augustus 2013, Stockholm, Sweden" (in Dutch). Klopt Dat Wel?. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Frazier, Kendrick (16 September 2013). "Three Days of Science and Skepticism in Stockholm". CSI website. Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- European Skeptics Congress
- 6th World Skeptics Congress Program
- Chairman's Blog (8 October 2012). "The Sixth World Skeptics Congress". ASKE website. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- World Skeptics Congress (16 June 2012). "World Skeptics Congress 2012: In Praise of Reason Award / Outstanding Skeptics Award (Introduction)". YouTube. Retrieved 23 May 2014.