– Date – February 4, 2014
– Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to
– Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
– Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us!
Skepticism, Past and Future [1:20]
– The Discovery Institute’s Wedge Strategy, 1998 document leaked February 5, 1999. NCSE’s Barbara Forrest explained the significance of the document in her testimony in Kitzmiller v. Dover trial (PDF).
– The very first Skeptics in the Pub held on February 6, 1999, London, featured speaker Wendy M. Grossman (founder of the UK Skeptic magazine & a CSI Fellow).
– There are now over one hundred such regular meetings.
– Excellent interactive map of vaccine-preventable disease outbreaks by the Council on Foreign Relations went viral in January.
– Tim traced the viral path it took from Twitter to the blogs to mass media leading to 500,000 views in ten days.
– Facebook is being sued over phantom likes from private messages, and Tim warns they could backfire on skeptics particularly.
– He advises using a tool called DoNotLink to avoid linking directly to pseudoscience or paranormal sites.
– Skeptic History facts are posted daily on social media find out where on this page at Tim’s blog.
Unnatural Virtue [12:40]
– The halo effect.
– Phrase was coined by psychologist Edward Thorndike in 1920.
– This episode of Unnatural Virtue includes an excerpt from The Critical Thinker’s Dictionary.
– Read by Kristen James. See Bob Carroll’s author page for more about this book, including the audio version.
The Odds Must Be Crazy [31:20]
– The Odds Must Be Crazy.
– This week’s featured story is, “Dreaming and Coincidence“.
– Story was submitted by an anonymous Skepticality listener.
– Visit the story link for a more detailed analysis and to add your comments.
– Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Barbara Drescher.
– Our producer and audio engineer is Brian Hart.
– Our theme music comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
– Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
– The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
– Wendy Hughes is on Twitter.
– Jarrett Kaufman is on Twitter.
– Barbara Drescher is on Twitter.
– Brian Hart is on Twitter.
– Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter.
Burzynski Cancer Update – Discussion With Robert Blaskiewicz [38:35]
– There has been a lot of pressure put on Burzynski and his clinic in recent months.
– No only about Burzynski, but media attention on other medical topics skeptics are concerned with.
– Contact and pressure your Congressman, get information at the Cancer Quack website.
Interview: Guy Harrison (Think) [1:00:32]
– His latest book is ‘Think‘.
– Past books featured on Skepticality: ‘The 50 Popular Beliefs That People Believe Are True‘, ‘The 50 Reasons People Give For People Believing In A God‘, and ‘Race and Reality: What Everyone Should Know About Our Biological Diversity‘.
– Guy used to live in the Cayman Islands.
– Has been on the show a couple times before.
– Our human brains are quite greedy when it comes to energy.
– One of Guy’s favorite topics is the ‘End of the World‘.
– Even Jesus claimed that the end of the world would happen within the lifetime of his followers.
– Latest Book is ‘Think‘ which is a kind of a guide for Skeptics to interact with others.
– You can check out Guy’s personal website here.
End Notes Music [1:29:20]
– Episode End Notes (Dropfox)
– Check out cool, new, music over at Dropfox it is also on Facebook!