– Date – November 11th, 2014
– Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to
– Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
– Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us!
Skepticism, Past and Future [1:55]
– The origin of “bunkum” was discussed in Skepticality #176.
– Learn more about Carl Sagan Day at CFI’s site that rounds up the events being held in several cities.
– Tim blogged about his research into “keep an open mind – but not so open your brains fall out” last week on INSIGHT.
– Hypothes.is is now launched, it was previously discussed on Skepticality #179.
– Meetup.com now has crowdfunding for US-based groups. Many skeptic groups use this service.
– DoNotLink.com has added voting and discussion threads on each linked site via a toolbar.
– CFR’s interactive map of vaccine outbreaks (previously discussed on Skepticality #225) has been updated.
– The Ask for Evidence campaign has an excellent new website.
– Skeptic History facts are posted daily on social media find out where on this page at Tim’s blog.
Skeptical Humanities [16:55]
– Ronald Hutton, Stations of the Sun: A History of the Ritual Year in Britain.
– Check out Skepticality Humanities blog!
The Odds Must Be Crazy [23:20]
– This week's featured story is, "Road Rage".
– Growing Problem of Road Rage.
– Story was submitted by Skepticality listener Michael Farese.
– Please visit the story link for a more detailed analysis and to add your comments.
– Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Barbara Drescher.
– Our theme music comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
– Visit our new webhost, Skeptic Ink Network at Skepticink.com.
– Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
– The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on Twitter at @OddsMustBeCrazy, Facebook at TheOddsMustBeCrazy, and Google+ at thier profile.
– Wendy Hughes is on Twitter @Wendy91602.
– John Rael is on Twitter @skepticallyPwnd.
– Jarrett Kaufman is on Twitter @TurboFool.
– Barbara Drescher is on Twitter @badrescher.
– Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter @MrDeity.
– Thanks to our friends Emery Emery and Heather Henderson for hospitality and support for the production of the segment. Visit them at skepticallyyours.net.
Interview: Molly Crockett [28:35]
– Neuroscientist, Molly Crockett..
– Has been featured in the New York Times.
– Fair play research as highlighted by the Financial Times.
– Antidepressants cause people to be less likely to harm others.
– Her work on antidepressants can really manipulate your moral compass.
– The BBC reported on her work involving the science of morality.
– Her TED talk, 'Beware neuro-bunk', is a good watch.
– Serotonin and how it effects fairness.