– Date – December 25, 2012
– Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to
– Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
– Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us!
– The Polygraph and its strange ways.
– Self-help programs are sometimes described as large group awareness training programs.
– Self-help business gurus are driven by confirmation bias, selection bias, and the halo effect.
– They usually ignore the elusiveness of luck and the inevitability of regression, explained by Daniel Kahneman in Thinking, Fast and Slow.
– The self-help business isn’t all that it’s made out to be, according to Steve Salerno in Sham: How the Self-Help Movement Made America Helpless.
– A paperback edition of Unnatural Acts: Critical Thinking, Skepticism, and Science Exposed! is now available from Lulu.com. For more info, click here. The eBook is still available.
– Please check out my book for kids 9 and up: Mysteries and Science: Exploring Aliens, Ghosts, Monsters, the End of the World and other Weird Things available in paperback and as an e-book.
The News in Religion
– Priest abuse files may be released without church officials’ names.
– People with no religious affiliation make up the third-largest global group in a new study.
– A billboard touting unbelief posted in time for the Christmas season has been vandalized.
– Heather’s other podcasts:
Ardent Atheist on Twitter: @Ardentatheists and Skeptically Yours on Twitter: @SkepticallyYour.
– Follow Heather on Twitter: @HeatherHenderso.
Skpepticism and the Humanities
– The raising of the Iwo Jima flag as photographed by Louis Lowery.
– Pvt. Bob Campbell’s photo of the raising of the second flag and the lowering of the first flag.
– Color footage of the flag raising as filmed by Sgt. Bill Genaust.
– Rosenthal’s posed photo.
– Rosenthal taking the posed photo.
The Odds Must Be Crazy
– The Odds Must Be Crazy.
– This week’s featured story is, "The Kindle Coincidence"
– Story was submitted by reader Carl Nichols.
– Please visit the story link for a more detailed analysis and to add your comments.
– Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Barbara Drescher.
– Our theme music comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
– Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
– The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
– Wendy Hughes is on Twitter.
– Jarrett Kaufman is on Twitter.
– Barbara Drescher is on Twitter.
– Brian Hart is on Twitter.
– Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter.
Interview – Mark Forsyth
– Interview Guest This Episode: Mark Forsyth.
– Creator and writer for the blog, ‘The Inky Fool‘.
– His newest book is ‘The Etymologicon’.
– The meaning behind president Obama’s name.
– Why *do* we call a toilet a ‘Commode‘?
– Thomas Jefferson was the real man behind a good shag!
– Find Marks books at all good book stores and even some evil ones!
– Get Heather Hendersons cool Christmas song at CD Baby!