– Date – June 5, 2012
– Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to
– Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
– Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us out!
Skepticism, Past and Future
– Mary Sue Hubbard was born June 17, 1931 and was prominent in Scientology.
– Russell Miller was born June 17, 1938 and wrote a biography of L.Ron Hubbard.
– The origin of the word bunkum (and hence, debunk) was covered in Skepticality #176.
– Henry K. Beecher’s key paper “The Powerful Placebo” was first presented June 7, 1955.
– Google Knowledge Graph was introduced for U.S. users in May, and shows many skeptic influences.
– James Randi in particular pops up now when you search for several prominent psychics.
– Learn more about skeptic editing of Wikipedia at Tim’s blog.
– Skeptic History facts are posted daily on social media find out where on this page at Tim’s blog.
– “The Seven Sins of Memory: How the Mind Forgets and Remembers“
– Ad hominem in The Skeptic’s Dictionary and in Unnatural Acts that can improve your thinking
– Rupert Sheldrake’s psychic parrot: N’kisi & the N’kisi Project
– Ad hominem defense of Steven F. Hayward’s “Climategate” arguments
– On logical fallacies in The Skeptic’s Dictionary.
– The Skeptic’s Dictionary
– Unnatural Acts: Critical Thinking, Skepticism, and Science Exposed!
The Odds Must Be Crazy
– The Odds Must Be Crazy
– This week’s featured story is “Shirley You Can’t Be Serious“
– Story was submitted by friend of the blog, Ross Blocher of Oh No, Ross and Carrie!
– Ross Blocher designed The Odds Must Be Crazy’s logo.
– Please visit the story link for a more detailed analysis and to add your comments
– Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Barbara Drescher
– Our producer and audio engineer is Brian Hart
– Our theme music comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
– Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
– The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on:
Twitter at http://twitter.com/OddsMustBeCrazy
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TheOddsMustBeCrazy
Google+ at http://plus.google.com/110529024173364131720/
Wendy Hughes is on Twitter http://twitter.com/Wendy91602
Jarrett Kaufman is on Twitter http://twitter.com/TurboFool
Barbara Drescher is on Twitter http://twitter.com/badrescher
Brian Hart is on Twitter http://twitter.com/Zaphod900
Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter http://twitter.com/MrDeity
SpongeLab – Dr. Jeremy Friedberg
– Jeremy founded and runs SpongeLab – A Global Science Community.
– You can explore all forms of FREE science content and lessons.
– Using Dragons to teach genetics and breeding is just fun!
– Spongelab won awards for thier ‘Build a Body‘ interactive puzzle game.
– “The History of Biology” game is a massive internet based exploration of factual science history.
– Learning just how fast the systems in our bodies actually get their jobs done in “Transcription Hero” is a great lesson in a game.
– If you are curious to interact with Spongelab, you can start with their ‘Practical Guide‘.