- Date – November 27, 2012
- Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to hosts @ skepticality.com.
- Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
- Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us!
Skpepticism and the Humanities
The News in Religion
- Pope elevates 6 cardinals to choose successor.
- On Thanksgiving, Jews And Muslims Volunteer Together Despite Middle East Violence.
- Jacksonville pastor convicted of sex crimes back in the pulpit.
- Heather's other podcasts: Ardent Atheist on Twitter: @Ardentatheists and Skeptically Yours on Twitter: @SkepticallyYour
- Follow Heather on Twitter: @HeatherHenderso
- For the true expert "intuition is nothing more than recognition," according to Herbert Simon, Nobel Prize winner in economics.
- Situation provides cues and the cue gives "the expert access to information stored in memory, and the information provides the answer" (quoted in Daniel Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow, p. 11).
- Political and economic experts, do worse than dart-throwing monkeys when it comes to making long-term predictions. (Philip Tetlock, Expert Political Judgment: How Good Is It? How Can We Know?).
- Gathering more and more information can give one the illusion of understanding.
- Paul Meehl compared the predictions of trained counselors versus a simple algorithm and found that the simple programs were significantly more accurate in their predictions than the experts.
- The Skeptics Dictionary and Skeptic's Dictionary for Kids.
- A paperback edition of Unnatural Acts: Critical Thinking, Skepticism, and Science Exposed! is now available from Lulu.com. For more info, click here. The eBook is still available.
The Odds Must Be Crazy
- The Odds Must Be Crazy.
- This week's featured story is, "The Thin Crust Coincidence"
- Story was submitted by reader Matthew McGrath.
- Please visit the story link for a more detailed analysis and to add your comments.
- Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Barbara Drescher.
- Our stand-in producer and audio engineer is Emery Emery.
- Our theme music comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
- Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
- The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
- Wendy Hughes is on Twitter.
- Jarrett Kaufman is on Twitter.
- Barbara Drescher is on Twitter.
- Brian Hart is on Twitter.
- Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter.
Jill-Jet: And The Magical Tale of Penn – Interview: Penn Jillette
- Interview Guest This Episode: Penn Jillette.
- His new book – 'Everyday is an Atheist Holiday'.
- The louder, taller, half of the magic duo Penn & Teller.
- Graduate of the Barnum Baily Greatest Show on Earth Clown College.
- Second graduate from that school on Skepticality.
- Inventor of the Jill Jet.
- Has had past regular articles during the start of the Internet Era.
- It has been said that without James Randi there would be no Penn & Teller.
- Penn thinks that Gilbert Godfried is the funniest man alive.