– Date – May 22, 2012
– Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to
– Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
– Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us out!
Skepticism, Past and Future
– The full story of Arthur Conan Doyle vs. J.B. Rhine can be heard in Skepticality #156.
– “The Strange Case of Wilhelm Reich” was published in The New Republic, May 26, 1947.
– Doubtful News covers skeptical news stories, and is often a better place to link than the original story.
– Microsoft and Google have introduced social features into their search engines.
– Tim gives further tips on social media use for skeptics at his blog.
– Skeptic History facts are posted daily on social media find out where on this page at Tim’s blog.
– “The Seven Sins of Memory: How the Mind Forgets and Remembers“
– The story about “Mr. Thompson” is in Oliver W. Sacks, “The man who mistook his wife for a hat and other clinical tales“.
– “Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior“. Mlodoninow will point you to several studies exposing confabulation as a common trait among so-called normal people.
– Daniel Kahneman, Paul Slovic, and Amos Tversky. eds. 1982. “Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases“. Cambridge University Press.
– “Thinking, Fast and Slow” by Daniel Kahneman
– The studies on choice blindness with faces were done by Lars Hall et al. at Lunds University in Sweden.
– The Skeptic’s Dictionary
– Unnatural Acts: Critical Thinking, Skepticism, and Science Exposed!
Penny For NASA
– John Zeller is the founder and man in charge
– Neil deGrasse Tyson made a speech highlighting the need for more money in the budget for NASA
– Educate yourself and others
– Make sure to sign the petition so NASA might get a better budget
– Writing your representatives is way too easy, and effective. Just go here to start
The Odds Must Be Crazy
– The Odds Must Be Crazy
– This week’s featured story is “Paying it forward by the side of the road“
– Story was submitted by reader Daniel S
– Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Barbara Drescher
– Don’t blame any audio recording problems on our audio engineer, Brian Hart, as our schedules didn’t line up with his and we had to do this one on our own.
– Our theme music debuting this week comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
– Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
– The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on:
Twitter at http://twitter.com/OddsMustBeCrazy
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TheOddsMustBeCrazy
Google+ at http://plus.google.com/110529024173364131720/
Wendy Hughes is on Twitter http://twitter.com/Wendy91602
Jarrett Kaufman is on Twitter http://twitter.com/TurboFool
Barbara Drescher is on Twitter http://twitter.com/badrescher
Brian Hart is on Twitter http://twitter.com/Zaphod900
Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter http://twitter.com/MrDeity
– The 1997 Heaven’s Gate mass suicide was the largest even conducted on American soil.
– Her new book “Closing The Gate” is about Heaven’s Gate and her brother, Jimmy.
– Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles were the ‘figureheads’ of the group at the time.
– There were additional, related, suicides at the same time as the main Heaven’s Gate California event.
– Always be aware of warning signs if you see them in friends or loved ones.
– Remaining members still maintain the Heaven’s Gate website and distribute information.