Skepticism, Past and Future
- CSICOP was created at an American Humanist Association conference that started April 30, 1976.
- Lanyrd is a new online tool for tracking conferences. Skeptics can use it to list their events, many have already been entered.
- Jenny McCarthy Body Count started counting on March 28, 2009.
- Hypothes.is is a peer-review and annotation layer for the internet which got its kick-off last fall and will launch later this year.
- RBUTR is a another new tool in beta that allows skeptics to link their articles directly to the misinformation they are debunking.
- Skeptic History facts are posted daily on social media find out where on this page at the Skeptools blog.
Unnatural Virtue Notes
- First episode of the new segment by Bob Carroll of The Skeptics Dictionary.
- We rely on intuition and/or quick thinking.
- The mind doesn’t work like a recorder.
- It takes lots of work to overcome our natural tendency to trust our brain.
- Science has taken a long time to mature.
- Critical Thinking takes work, education, and lots of work.
- Some people have little regard for facts.
- George W. Bush openly stated he liked to ‘go with his gut’.
- Oprah Winfrey often gave a bully pulpit to promoters of bad thinking.
- In the future we will learn more about illusions, mind tricks, fallacies, and other areas of bad thinking.
- Bob Carroll is the Author of The Skeptics Dictionary and Unnatural Acts
Ask Bug Girl
- Bug Girl blogs about skeptical stuff, and loves herself some bugs!
- She also blogs at Skepchick.- Is it Praying Mantis, or Preying Mantis?
- She has enough pictures of odd things people have ‘pooped out‘.
- Please use your Twitter account for good and use the hash tag ‘#askbug_girl’ and send them to her at @bug_girl.
- We welcome back out favorite Astrophysicist, Neil deGrasse Tyson!
- Neil will be taking up the role which Carl Sagan is famous for as the host of the next Cosmos.
- The FOX network will be airing the new Cosmos on prime time TV when it comes out.
- Current estimate is that the airing will be in 2014 due to schedule delays.
- Seth MacFarlane is a huge supporter of science and critical thinking, and is a producer and champion of the show.
- Neil’s new book is ‘Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier‘.
- Outlines the rise of our journey into space, and why we have ended up with our current situation.
- If you work FOR the President, you can’t actually openly criticize or ask for things to be done.
- Neil hopes that he can educate everyone to go out and write, call, and convince their representatives to do the right thing.
- Check out his podcast, “Star Talk“, which has folks from mainstream culture on to talk about science.
- He would love it if you followed him on Twitter, or even check out his live feed on Facebook.
- Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books or Skepticality stuff from our stores.