– Date – October 22nd, 2013
– Send your cool ‘SCIENCE!’ shout-outs to
– Theme song by Steve Seamans of the Daisy Dillman Band. Get the song HERE.
– Thank you to everyone who has been purchasing books, Skepticality stuff, or using our Amazon link to help us!
– Our previous guest, Jon Hotchkiss, is offering a 50% discount to our listeners. Just go to: thisvsthatshow.com and click "see the series" and enter the promo code 'skepticality' when prompted.
Skepticism, Past and Future [1:15]
– Lawsuits have been a frequent topic, notably in Skepticality #190.
– November 5, 1970 Scientology sued Geoffrey Johnson Smith over his comments on the church. The church lost.
– The 2nd National Congress on Medical Quackery was held October 26 and 26, 1963.
– November 1, 1963 LIFE magazine ran a feature titled "Crackdown on Quackery" which resulted in the case Dietemann v. Time Inc.
– November 2, 1963 the American Medical Association Committee on Quackery was formed, sparking a battle w/chiropractors, ended with Wilk v. AMA.
– Fishbarrel was discussed in Skepticality #195, DMCA complaints in Skepticality #190.
– Tim blogged on the issue of online complaints recently at Skeptools, more details about the Scientology and Wikipedia stories there.
– The Daily Dot recently broke a story about a major ring of sockpuppet accounts on Wikipedia.
– Skeptic History facts are posted daily on social media find out where on this page at Tim’s blog.
– The new GSoW Forum!
– Leah Remini who very recently left Scientology, and there has been a lot of fuss made.
– Tony Ortega announced that Remini was interviewed on The Ellen show.
– Visit the Scientology talk page.
– Guerrilla Skepticism on Wikipedia Blog.
– You can find Susan Gerbic at her website.
The Thinking Things Through Conference [13:38]
– The Thinking Things Through Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa.
– Get tickets to the conference can be obtained here
Skeptical Humanities [14:17]
– Report from Paradigm Symposium 2013.
– Last year the focus was on Ancient Aliens, this year was mainly about Egypt.
– P.Z. Myers gave a good talk about how we know that aliens did not 'mess' with human DNA.
– Less positive was Scott Walter host of 'America Unearthed' about how almost every civilization made it to the Americas.
– Proof that Oreo cookies are part of a grand conspiracy.
– 'The Tucson Artifacts' supposedly show a Roman colony was North America over 1,000 years ago.
– Should anyone accept 'The Kennison Runestones' as real evidence?
– David Weatherly gave a talk about the 'Slenderman' is now real, due to human 'energy'.
– Someone sold 'ancient alien artifacts' for around $30,000 another was selling music channeled from different alien races.
– Along with Pagan Home schooling books.
– Find out more at skepticalhumanities.com.
The Odds Must Be Crazy [33:45]
– The Odds Must Be Crazy.
– This week's featured story "Ken Kesey Koincidence".
– Story was submitted by friend of the blog Spencer Marks.
– Please visit the story link for a more detailed analysis and to add your comments.
– Additional thoughts and considerations provided by Barbara Drescher.
– Our theme music comes to us courtesy of Brian Keith Dalton, AKA Mr. Deity.
– Please visit The Independent Investigations Group Los Angeles.
– The Odds Must Be Crazy can be found on:
– Twitter @OddsMustBeCrazy
– Facebook at their page.
– Or over at their Google+ page.
– Wendy Hughes is on Twitter: @Wendy91602.
– John Rael is on Twitter: @skepticallyPwnd.
– Jarrett Kaufman is on Twitter: @TurboFool.
– Barbara Drescher is on Twitter: @badrescher.
– Brian Keith Dalton is on Twitter: @MrDeity.
– Thanks to friends Emery Emery and Heather Henderson for hospitality and support for the production of the segment. Visit them at Skeptically Yours.
Interview: Greg Gage [38:18]
– Check out his TED Bio.
– His citizen-science nuero group is 'Backyard Brains'.
– The Cockroach 'Beatbox' video.
– He has YouTube videos showing how roach experiments are setup.
– Other uses have already been thought of for these little roach zombies.
– HarvardX even has a cool online class involving Greg's work.
– You can even get your OWN SpikerBox to play with nueroscience yourself!
– Greg and the folks at Backyard Brains are very aware of ethical issues.
– You can get all of the citizen lab equipment to play with yourself!
Outro Music [66:05]
– Outro music donated by Trent Brusky of Dropfox.